Weekly CouchDB meeting – summary
- Bigcouch Merge: work on branches has started again and will make good progress
- rcouch Merge: code reviews have been restarted; more help with testing is needed; discussion around Windows support, will be continued on Dev-Mailing list
- Advocate Hub: onboarding at the moment, next steps will be sent to marketing mailing list soon
- 1.6.0 release: release candidate 3 (rc3) is being prepared now
- COUCHDB-1986: the issue is being investigated, will be updated soon if its status changes
1.6.0 changelog review (see thread)
A discussion around what exactly should be included in 1.6.0 (see changelog and documentation for details).
Handling the Welcome Request (see thread)
How to handle the welcome message that appears from a root request and direct the “/” request to another URL (setup: version 1.5 on a Windows machine).
authentication_redirect is not working (see thread)
How to handle the redirection of users after login to other databases that service page requests (and avoid errors; setup: public application with CouchDB-based authentication).
Vote: Release Apache CouchDB 1.6.0 rc2 (see thread)
The vote was aborted because of an issue brought up by the test suite.
Modeling Relationships and providing Transactional Integrity (see thread; ongoing discussion)
… and the question if _bulk_docs is transactional (hint: it’s not)
Releases in the CouchDB Universe
- openSUSE has issued a security update for CouchDB which fixes a vulnerability that can be exploited to cause a DoS
- couchbeam 1.0.3, that helps you access and manage multiple CouchDB Nodes
- MyCouch 1.0.0, a simple asynchronous CouchDB and Cloudant client for .Net
- follow 0.11.0, a robust, fault-tolerant CouchDB changes follower
- docuri 1.0.1 – rich document IDs for CouchDB
- Proxee, an API proxy that stores data in CouchDB
- CouchDB – short review
- Unit testing CouchDb design documents
- “We Don’t Have MongoDB – is CouchDB OK?”
- CouchDB security and PouchDB authentication
- Pagination Strategies with PouchDB
- Help open-source maintainers stay sane (ongoing discussion thread)
Use Cases, Questions and Answers
- StackOverflow: HTTP PUT request to save data to CouchDB Server – Java Android?
- StackOverflow: CouchDB delay building index (CouchDB 1.5.0 on Windows Server 2008 R2)
- StackOverflow: Couchdb key-pair structure
- StackOverflow: CouchDB Erlang View
- StackOverflow: CouchDB install error: You must `brew link nspr spidermonkey unixodbc wxmac’
- StackOverflow: Couchdb socket hang up in view
- StackOverflow: ElasticSearch river cannot access CouchDB over HTTP
- StackOverflow: CouchDB Document Map Modification
If you want to get into working on CouchDB:
- rcouch Merge: Erlang hackers and CouchDB users, we need your help with testing and review of the rcouch merge. It’s easy! Find the how-to in this post.
- Here’s a list of beginner tickets around our currently ongoing Fauxton-implementation. If you have any questions or need help, don’t hesitate to contact us in the couchdb-dev IRC room (#couchdb-dev) – Garren (garren) and Sue (deathbear) are happy to help.
- You want join us for the updates of CouchDB-Python for Python 3? Take a look at issue 231.
We’d be happy to have you!
- April 29 – 30, Cologne, Germany: NoSQL matters conference
- September 1 – 5, Munich, Germany: International Workshop on NoSQL Databases and Linked Data Applications – the Call for Papers is now open
- November 17 – 21, Budapest, Hungary: ApacheCon Europe 2014 (the Call for Papers is now open, too!)
Job opportunities for people with CouchDB skills
… and also in the news
- Founder School Session: The Future Doesn’t Have to Be Incremental
- Six Lessons Learned the Hard Way About Scaling a Million User System
- Passwords are Obsolete
- How ‘DevOps’ is Killing the Developer
Posted on behalf of Lena Reinhard.