How does Indexing really work? (see thread)
Question: A user took a look at their Futon and their indexer working on various design documents, and asked how Indexing in CouchDB really works.
- If users want all views to be processed with exactlfy the same delta, they have to put them all in the same design doc. Then they are trading off parallelism (# of ddocs, and # of CPU cores potentially) for synchronicity.
- Another point to consider is that, if all views are in the same doc, an edit to any of them will cause recalculation of the all views in that doc. This might be good – maybe these views never change! It really depends on the user’s development and deployment model.
Deprecating _externals (ongoing discussion; see thread)
Discussion about the idea of deprecating the entire _externals feature. Suggestion to either document it straight up, along with all of the admonishments required for people who expect it to operate the same as in 1.x, or to remove it. The discussion is still ongoing.
Improved CouchDB logo (see thread)
Discussion about improving the existing CouchDB logo or changing the logo to a new one with the release of CouchDB 2.0. A design team is now working on suggestions for alternatives, these will be discussed as soon as they’re finished.
Releases in the CouchDB Universe
- add-cors-to-couchdb 0.0.3 – add CORS to CouchDB
- couchdb-rev 0.0.8 – a script that will let you setup revisions for CouchDB designs
- slipcover 0.2.65 – Lite wrapper for CouchDB
- shatap-replication-couch 1.0.1 – remove all replication docs in CouchDB
- express-pouchdb 0.7.2 – Express submodule with a CouchDB style REST interface to PouchDB
- microanalytics – a web-analytics CouchApp
Opinions and other News in the CouchDB Universe
Use Cases, Questions and Answers
- Use Case: Installing CouchDB and Futon on Ubuntu 14.10
- Use Case: Install CouchDB on a CentOS Linux VPS
- Stack Overflow: Return User Specific Data from CouchDB
- Stack Overflow: CouchDB: Login with “Remember me” function
- Stack Overflow: Importing large datasets into Couchbase
- Stack Overflow: How to access ALL documents in a CouchDB database?
- Stack Overflow: CouchDB: OS process timed out
No public answer yet:
- Stack Overflow: CouchDB local.ini log setting getting overwritten
- Stack Overflow: How to best define routes in express.js for resources and views in CouchDB
- Stack Overflow: Is it possible to replace one CouchDB Database with a new one with the same name?
- Stack Overflow: CouchDB replication file size
For more new questions and answers about CouchDB, see these search results.
If you want to get into working on CouchDB:
- We have an infinite number of open contributor positions on CouchDB. Submit a pull request and join the project!
- Can you help with Web Design, Development or UX for our Admin Console? No Erlang skills required! – Get in touch with us.
- Do you want to help moving the CouchDB docs translation forward? We’d love to have you in our L10n team! See our current status and languages we’d like to provide CouchDB docs in on this page. If you’d like to help, don’t hesitate to contact the L10n mailing list on firstname.lastname@example.org or ping Andy Wenk (awenkhh on IRC).
We’d be happy to have you on board!
- November 04, Hamburg, Germany: CouchDB Meetup
- November 13, Edmonton, AB, Canada, SMAC Edmonton: Introduction to Cloudant, a NoSQL database-as-a-service
- November 17, Denver, CO, USA, HTML5 Denver Users Group: Creating CouchDB Apps
- November 17-21, Budapest, Hungary: ApacheCon EU 2014 with an entire CouchDB Track
- Announcement: CouchDB Day 2015, Hamburg, Germany; pre-registration is already open
New PMC Member
- Robert Kowalski joins the Project Management Committee. Robert has made outstanding, sustained contributions to the project. Welcome to the Couch, Robert!
Job opportunities for people with CouchDB skills
- Experienced Node.js Developer, Cologne, Germany
- Principal Application Software Engineer, San Diego, CA, USA
Time to relax!
- “When we think about labor, we usually think about motivation and payment as the same thing, but the reality is that we should probably add all kinds of things to it: meaning, creation, challenges, ownership, identity, pride, etc.” – What motivates us
- “Everyone is different. When it comes to talking about mental health more than anything, we only have our own experiences to draw from. We can’t know what it’s like to be anyone else, so comparing how you feel with others is a weird thing.” – You’re Not Alone
- “Staying in touch with distant co-workers and team members takes real work. When everyone is camped out in a home office or a coffee shop, you can’t count on casual walks down the hallway to reveal morale problems or frustration.” – Building beyond our Means