“Each person deserves a day away in which no problems are confronted, no solutions searched for. Each of us needs to withdraw from the cares which will not withdraw from us.”
— Maya Angelou
A woman of many talents, Maya Angelou had an incredibly prolific and wildly successful career in the arts that would not have been possible without hard work and perseverance. Angelou stuck to a brutal writing regimen, holing up in a hotel room with nothing but a notepad, thesaurus, her personal bible, and a bottle of sherry until the work was done. But she also knew how revitalizing a little downtime could be. So, the next time you say “I can’t take time off”, consider this: if an author/playwright/poet/screenwriter/dancer/protester could find the time to relax, what’s your excuse?
Time to relax
- “If you combine the serene time-killing of coloring books with the tense uneasiness of horror, would you get something that’s an average level of relaxing, or at one of the two extremes? ” – This horror coloring book is equally creepy and relaxing
- “It has three segments: you get on a train, guide the train to various stations, get off the train. People (cats, actually) get on the train, people get off, but there’s no point system or punishment for missing anyone. It’s not a hyperrealistic insight into how trains function, but a calming visual that moves through gorgeous hand drawn illustrations.” – All Train Rides Should Be as Relaxing as This Cool Animated Game
- “Watching someone slowly turn on a light switch seems like an excruciatingly boring way to spend 30 seconds. But when the action is paired with a real-time graph charting the movement it turns soothing.” – Somehow Everything Is More Soothing and Exciting With Graphs
- “…when stress is prolonged or chronic—meaning it sticks around for weeks, months, or even years—it can lead to a “dysregulation” or negative changes to your immune system and other biological functions, Dhabhar says. What kinds of changes? Chronic stress suppresses your protective immunity—your body’s ability to defend itself against diseases and pathogens.” – 8 Signs Stress Is Making You Sick—And How To Get Healthier, Starting Today
- “If you’ve ever wondered about what would happen if our world suddenly saw all people vanish, the YouTube channel Cloth Map can give you something of an idea.” – Listen to the Soothing and Eerie Sounds of Chernobyl
Enjoy your weekend 🙂
New CouchDB 2.x metrics & monitoring solution (see thread)
Joan Touzet introduces a solution (currently in beta) that’s fast, has fixed-memory, and provides a web console for people who might not have a fully-fledged metrics solution already. It also acts as a statsd server that can feed into many popular time-series database backends, such as graphite, influxdb, opentsdb and prometheus.
CouchDB + React, part 2 (hooray!) (see thread)
So the good news is that Facebook have decided to relicense React
to the MIT license as of v16. This gets us out of having to completely
replace React in our code base.
Releases in the CouchDB Universe
Opinions and other News in the CouchDB Universe
… and in the PouchDB Universe
CouchDB Use Cases, Questions and Answers
PouchDB Use Cases, Questions and Answers
- Shopping List is an Offline First demo Progressive Web App built using Polymer and PouchDB.
no public answer yet:
For more new questions and answers about CouchDB, see these search results and about PouchDB, see these.
If you want to get into working on CouchDB:
- We have an infinite number of open contributor positions on CouchDB. Submit a pull request and join the project!
- Do you want to help us with the work on the new CouchDB website? Get in touch on our new website mailing list and join the website team! – firstname.lastname@example.org
- The CouchDB advocate marketing programme is just getting started. Join us in CouchDB’s Advocate Hub!
- CouchDB has a new wiki. Help us move content from the old to the new one!
- Can you help with Web Design, Development or UX for our Admin Console? No Erlang skills required! – Get in touch with us.
- Do you want to help moving the CouchDB docs translation forward? We’d love to have you in our L10n team! See our current status and languages we’d like to provide CouchDB docs in on this page. If you’d like to help, don’t hesitate to contact the L10n mailing list on email@example.com or ping Andy Wenk (awenkhh on IRC).
We’d be happy to welcome you on board!
Job opportunities for people with CouchDB skills
- Senior Backend Software Engineer, San Francisco (CA), US
- Senior Web Back-end Developer, Minneapolis (MN), US/Remote
- Web Application Developer, Brandon (FL), US
- Senior PHP Developer, Berlin, Germany
- Senior Web Developer, Atlanta (GA), US
- Mgr, Software Engineering – Platform Services, Menomonee Falls (WI), US
- Senior Web Full-Stack Developer, Minneapolis (MN), US/Remote
- Sr Architect – Platform Services Architect (Mobile), Menomonee Falls (WI), US
- Senior Java Engineer, Atlanta (GA), US
- Data Warehouse Architect & Mentor, Monrovia, Liberia
- Team Lead – Engineering, Chicago (IL), US
- Cloud Software Developer – Innovation Center, Los Angeles (CA), US
Also in the news
Submit news to the CouchDB Weekly
Reach out to us with your news suggestions by sending us an email or by contacting us on Twitter @CouchDB.