Vote on release of Apache CouchDB 1.6.0 rc.5 (will be released as Apache CouchDB 1.6.0 — see thread)
The vote passed.
Limiting view access (see thread)
Use case: sharing docs between users with different roles and according access. Goal is to make sure via adding according CouchDB settings that no user can see who the other users of the doc are.
Answer: Natively, CouchDB doesn’t provide this functionality. Thus, the canonical answer is to use a proxy in front of CouchDB that can limit access to certain URLs, or to deploy a middleware layer written in your favourite language that can broker the access.
CouchDB minimum revs_limit and Compaction (see thread)
Use case: limiting the number of revisions stored for a specific document in a database. Setup: setting the revs_limit to a specific number and then running the compaction. This did not work, the number of revisions could not be limited this way, and the enquirer asked why.
_revs_limit does not do what one may think it does, – CouchDB is not a revision control system. After completion only the latest revision of each document is preserved.
_revs_limit refers only to how many old
_rev values are retained. Lowering this value will save some storage but can also make replication less efficient as a failure to find a common ancestor will cause CouchDB to copy the document afresh.
Releases in the CouchDB Universe
- Follow 0.11.2 – can now listen to _db_updates
- docuri 2.1 – rich document IDs for CouchDB, now including custom definitions and polished README
- couch-daemon 1.3.0 – now listens to database updates
- Couchmagick 2.1.2 – now supporting Docuris
- rust-couchdb – a new CouchDB client, now for Rust
- couchdb-worker 3.2.1 – CouchDB worker module that manages state
- express-pouchdb 0.2.0 – express submodule with a CouchDB style REST interface to PouchDB
- lockit-couchdb-adapter 0.4.3 – CouchDB adapter for lockit
- cores 0.8.3 – CouchDB resources with validation
Special topic: Content Management Systems based on CouchDB
- Kleks – a pure CouchDB based CMS written as a CouchApp using Kanso,
Spine.js, CoffeeScript and Stylus. Supports multi-site setup and
- Couchpress – a super lightweight and modular CMS built on NodeJS, Express and CouchDB
- CMS – a Content Management System written with Ruby on Rails and CouchDB
- Cmtool – a rails 3.2+ CMS as engine for a CouchDB backend
- Falkland CMS (Website) – a Curation Management System written in Clojure, ClojureScript and CouchDB
- Geocouch on Fedora – a tutorial
- Open Data made simple – CouchDB read only + ElasticSearch river
- PouchDB: CouchDB Within The Browser – an introduction
Use Cases, Questions and Answers
- Stack Overflow: CouchDB View equivalent of SUM & GROUP BY is there any example
- Stack Overflow: Want to make my background image from attachments in CouchDB
- Stack Overflow: How can we run parameterized query in CouchDB
- Stack Overflow: Connecting Couchbase sync adapter to CouchDB server
- Stack Overflow: How do I Return User Specific Data from CouchDB
- Stack Overflow: How to get the field value which contain sub field and value in CouchDB
- Stack Overflow: How can we get the field from a document in CouchDB
- Stack Overflow: Add a field to existing document in CouchDB
- Stack Overflow: implementation of json object and json array in CouchDB using Java
- Stack Overflow: Updating subset of documents in a database – where/when to check and ignore changes?
- Stack Overflow: Retrieve the data from database on the based condition in CouchDB
- Stack Overflow: CouchDB error when typing Couchapp push Errno 111
- Stack Overflow: CouchDB API for php
- Stack Overflow: Getting single property from multiple views in CouchDB using ektorp
- Stack Overflow: How to give subfield to a field of a document in CouchDB using java program?
- Stack Overflow: How to select data from CouchDB on condition based
- Stack Overflow: Get list of all view names in CouchDB
- Stack Overflow: Split values of CouchDB result
- Stack Overflow: CouchDB Futon Web Gui not working properly
- Stack Overflow: How can I filter data during replication and give user only his own documents?
- Stack Overflow: How to retrieve all data from a particular document in CouchDB?
If you want to get into working on CouchDB:
- We have an infinite number of open contributor positions on CouchDB. Submit a pull request and join the project!
- Here’s a list of beginner tickets around our currently ongoing Fauxton-implementation. If you have any questions or need help, don’t hesitate to contact us in the couchdb-dev IRC room (#couchdb-dev) – Garren (garren) and Sue (deathbear) are happy to help.
We’d be happy to have you!
- June 03, New York, USA: High Performance at Scale NoSQL & Big Data Event
- June 03, Oslo, Norway: Erlang in two hours: a hands-on lab
- June 10, Hamburg, Germany: CouchDB Meetup #2
- June 16-17, San Francisco, USA: CloudantCON | tickets (discounted rate)
Job opportunities for people with CouchDB skills
- Speech Scientist – Engineer, Boston, MA, USA
- Sr. Engineer- Search-Recommendations, Boston, MA, USA
- Software Developer/Senior Software Developer Human Genetics Informatics, Cambridge, United Kingdom
- Principal Systems Administrator/Software Developer – Human Genetics Informatics, Cambridge, United Kingdom
- Full Stack Developer, Singapore, Republic of Singapore
- Backend Engineer, San Francisco, CA, USA
… and also in the news
Posted on behalf of Lena Reinhard.