[PROPOSAL] Workflow with forked repos (see thread)
A new proposal on @dev is kicking-off the “plan to sync the couchdb-jiffy fork up to the current master” because of useful improvements for scheduler, tests, Windows build in the recent versions of jiffy.
[PROPOSAL] Fauxton config and the new config API (ongoing, see thread)
When several issues for multi-node-setups occurred with the config section in Fauxton, it was proposed “that the UI communicates in a direct and clear way that another (maybe external) tooling is necessary as soon as you’re dealing with a cluster.” and that “for ‘clusters of one’, we can just show the config screen.” Other opinions are, that with 2.0 “limiting the web UI to cluster-of-one setups is perfectly fine” and thus noone would be losing capability.
Continuous Integration Redux (ongoing, see thread)
Last week on dev@ it was announced that efforts to grow a CouchDB CI team have been initiated, especially in regard of the upcoming 2.0 release: Testing on multiple operating systems, different operating system versions, dependency versions and configurations (and Windows!) will be required.
Help is needed! Looking for people interested in assuming ownership of the CouchDB Continuous Integration operations (See the thread for details and requirements. The discussion continues.)
Releases in the CouchDB Universe
- couchdb-view-cache-stream 2.0.1 – An experimental way to cache the results of a CouchDB view
- jack-db-couchdb 1.0.1 – Jack-Stack Plugin for CouchDB
- pouch-replicate-webrtc – Replicate a PouchDB over a WebRTC DataChannel.
Opinions and other News in the CouchDB Universe
- [Blog Post] Testing Express.js + CouchDB Applications with mock-couch, “a node.js module which pretends to be a CouchDB server for testing purposes.”
Use Cases, Questions and Answers
- Connecting to CouchDB from a webpage – Answer: The CouchDB jQuery Plugin for development was recommended, as well as this reference by Bradley Holt
- 500 Internal Server Error from Saving to CouchDB — Following the directions of the docs the user managed to solve the problem, which was a simply to name the attached file.
- How to create and maintain CouchDB/PouchDB doc _id’s
no public answer yet (Stack Overflow):
- CouchDB – grouping documents based on relation/sequence between each other
- Start and end of numbers of results elastic search river for CouchDB
- Running Etherpad with CouchDB – TypeError User referred to an article showing how to set up a connection to MongoDB, which is supposed to be the same procedure as with CouchDB. But he receives a TypeError.
- Saltstack: Nodegroup matching in pillars?
For more new questions and answers about CouchDB, see these search results.
Use Cases, Questions and Answers (PouchDB)
- PouchDB to CouchDB sync for an app using Ionic. Question: Why do all the documents in CouchDB are replicating to every PouchDB user. Answer: A filtered function to replicate only documents needed, as in filtered replication in the docs. Or create one database per user in CouchDB and replicate PouchDB only with the CouchDB user database.
- PouchDB + SQLite plugin for Cordova/PhoneGap
no public answer yet (Stack Overflow):
For more new questions and answers about PouchDB, see these search results.
If you want to get into working on CouchDB:
- We have an infinite number of open contributor positions on CouchDB. Submit a pull request and join the project!
- Do you want to help us with the work on the new CouchDB website? Get in touch on our new website mailing list and join the website team! – email@example.com
- The CouchDB advocate marketing programme is just getting started. Join us in CouchDB’s Advocate Hub!
- CouchDB has a new wiki. Help us move content from the old to the new one!
- Can you help with Web Design, Development or UX for our Admin Console? No Erlang skills required! – Get in touch with us.
- Do you want to help moving the CouchDB docs translation forward? We’d love to have you in our L10n team! See our current status and languages we’d like to provide CouchDB docs in on this page. If you’d like to help, don’t hesitate to contact the L10n mailing list on firstname.lastname@example.org or ping Andy Wenk (awenkhh on IRC).
We’d be happy to welcome you on board!
- July 14, Online/Webinar by Erlang Solutions: Erlang, CouchDB and the IBM Cloud
- July 14, Hamburg, Germany: CouchDB Meetup
- August 4, Boston, US: Summer CouchDB Meetup (Call for Speakers, Location: TBA)
- September 11, London, UK: Lead Developer Conference
- October 6-8, Richland (WA), US: &yetConf
Job opportunities for people with CouchDB skills
- Software Developer, Servier Side – .NET Focus, San Francisco, (CA), US
- Game Server Engineer, Austin (TX), US
- Software Developer, LA (CA), US
- Webmaster Application Architect, Armonk (NY), US
- Software Engineer Associate, O’Fallon (IL), US
Time to relax!
- “Money can be a bridge to the freedom of exploring Musts. And it often doesn’t require much. But it does require determination. Money can be used to buy you a day, a week, month of time to work on a Must, which may amount to nothing. Or it can be used to buy a sweater, a suit, a car — the value of which is obvious and low risk.” – The Crossroads of Should and Must
- “Peterson told BuzzFeed News, ‘There’s a lot of lip service about women in tech. People say someone should do something, but when they have other events like these, they are not actually awarding money. It’s just so that a bunch of people can feel like they’re Mark Cuban. But with this event, they put their money where their mouth is.’” – Women Rule The Tech Scene At D.C. Startup Competition
- “I sat in a state of wonder. At a time when I had forgotten the possibility of pleasure, Pépin had effortlessly, instinctively brought me back to life. Without knowing it, he had extended a hand to a drowning man. For dessert we had crème brûlée and an apple tart, coffee, and one more glass of wine. And then I was shaking that hand again, the other clasped warmly atop mine. And then I was out on the street, dazed and floating.” – The Chef who saved my life
- “This means half my time and mental energy is spent debating my inner self, just to keep moving forward. Think about that. Think about how much time you spend on solving a problem and then try to solve that same problem if every other second you had to argue with someone about a completely pointless and random thing. It becomes really hard to get into a flow space for solving hard problems with this going on. // Depression is a daily struggle. Some of us have the upper hand on our depression right now, but I can assure that many will eventually slip, needing more understanding, and maybe some help some time in the future.” – On Depression
- “While around half of all webpages are in English, only about 28 percent of the people using the internet speak English as a first language. Interesting, right? There are billions of people who use and browse the English web, but are not native speakers.” – Designing for non-native speakers