Design@ mailing list for CouchDB (see here)
There now is a mailing list reserved for design topics at CouchDB. You can subscribe by sending an email to email@example.com and then engage in discussions around design by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
[PROPOSAL] Allow rewrites to be JS function (see thread)
It was proposed to extend the “design doc ‘rewrites’ section functionality by enabling it to be both list (array of rules, current format) and JS function (string).” This was said to solve problems, e.g. in CouchApps, such as early stage access control, query-based and userCtx-based rewrites and others. Follow the discussion on potential use cases and custom rewrite languages here. A list of next steps is summarised here.
Make check fails (see thread)
For the 2.0 comming closer, test suites are being checked and issues fixed if and where needed.
Problems with replication (see thread)
A user team that has recently started with CouchDB describe a few problems with replication that they experience. They are addressing the user@ mailing list for hints and ask to share common pitfalls that could lead to these problems. The answer may be found within filtered replication.
Stuck indexer process causes view to stop working (see thread)
Another user request addressed an issue with an ‘indexer process’ that causes a view to stop. It was only solved by restating CouchDB. Nothing in the logs is giving further insights, so it was suggested to update to the latest version of CouchDB and Erlang to see if the issue remains.
Releases in the CouchDB Universe
- puppet-couchdb 1.0.0 – Puppet CouchDB module
- python-couchdb 1.0-2
- angular-eha.couchdb-auth 1.0.0 – CouchDB auth wrapper
- well-groomed-feast 4.1.1 – Voicemail Application for FreeSwitch with CouchDB back-end
- couchdb-ensure 1.3.1 – Create database unless it exists.
- couchdb-configure 1.4.1 – Configure CouchDB from file or directory.
- docuri 4.2.1 – Rich document ids for CouchDB
- couchdb-push 2.2.2 – Deploy CouchDB documents from directory, JSON or module.
- couchdb-compile 1.6.1 – Build CouchDB documents from fs.
- couchdb-bootstrap 1.11.1 – Bootstrap projects: configure CouchDB, setup security, deploy ddocs and create
- react-pouchdb-changes 0.1.1 – React component middleware for listening to the changes feed from CouchDB or PouchDB
- pouch-sync-cli 1.0.0 – Command line helper for syncing Pouch / CouchDB databases
- pouchy 2.0.0 – A simple, opinionated interface for the amazing PouchDB
- pouchdb-find 0.4.0 – Easy-to-use query language for PouchDB
- pouchdb-migrate 1.1.1 – PouchDB plugin for running migrations.
- couch-party 0.0.1 – A set of functions for making a Couch/PouchDB driven multi-user web app.
- underpouch 0.0.1 – An underscore wrapper for querying documents in a PouchDB.
Opinions and other News in the CouchDB Universe
- [Step-by-step guide] How To Install CouchDB and Futon on Ubuntu 14.04
- [Talk Slides] “Decentralized Document Delivery” presented by @ at ApacheCon: Big Data on September 29th, 2015
CouchDB Use Cases, Questions and Answers
- Stack Overflow:
- CouchDB replication performance
- Make CouchDB vhosts rule via PUT request
- How can I load a document into CouchDB using “use CouchDB::Client;” modules in perl?
- Key Parameter Error in CouchDB
no public answer yet (Stack Overflow):
- CouchDB replication performance
- How to manage sharing on application resources base on CouchDB?
- How to increase usage quota on hosted CouchDB SmileUpps
- CouchDB Load Balancing: Primary write-only and Replicas read-only
PouchDB Use Cases, Questions and Answers
- Promise to array with PouchDB and AngularJs ng-repeat
- Using ng-repeat over the results from a PouchDB promise
- How to wait till PouchDB successfully connects
- Ionic + Phonegap Build app : facebook and google login, using native apps
no public answer yet (Stack Overflow):
- PouchDB how to check if localDB is up-to-date with remoteDB
- How to integrate Ionic App with Android widget(Java)?
If you want to get into working on CouchDB:
- We have an infinite number of open contributor positions on CouchDB. Submit a pull request and join the project!
- Do you want to help us with the work on the new CouchDB website? Get in touch on our new website mailing list and join the website team! – email@example.com
- The CouchDB advocate marketing programme is just getting started. Join us in CouchDB’s Advocate Hub!
- CouchDB has a new wiki. Help us move content from the old to the new one!
- Can you help with Web Design, Development or UX for our Admin Console? No Erlang skills required! – Get in touch with us.
- Do you want to help moving the CouchDB docs translation forward? We’d love to have you in our L10n team! See our current status and languages we’d like to provide CouchDB docs in on this page. If you’d like to help, don’t hesitate to contact the L10n mailing list on firstname.lastname@example.org or ping Andy Wenk (awenkhh on IRC).
We’d be happy to welcome you on board!
- October 2nd, Budapest, Hungary: ApacheCon: Core Europe 2015. Talk on Fauxton: Photons be Free – Michelle Phung, Cloudant
- October 6-8, Richland (WA), US: &yetConf
- October 12, Brisbane, AUS: PouchDB, NativeScript, Responsive design lib, +tbc
Job opportunities for people with CouchDB skills
- Database Administrator, San Diego (CA), US
- Python Developer, Chandler (AZ), US
- Ruby On Rails Developers, Philadelphia (PA), US
Time to relax!
- “If you’re managing or trying to grow a team and you haven’t given any consideration to what skills and characteristics you want your team members to have as they progress, you are doing both them and the team as a whole a disservice. … Everyone wants to hire senior engineers. Fewer people are willing to put in the time and effort to help their more junior engineers become senior, but that work is critical to developing not only the next generation of badass senior engineers but our industry as a whole.” – On Becoming a Senior Engineer
- “I am the sole sysadmin, and my knowledge, though workable, is limited – as are the pennies in my pocket, sono there’s no load balancers and heavy duty sentinel machines that protect my system from madness. It’s just me.” – The toxic side of free. Or: how I lost the love for my side project (part 1)
- “…In essence, she taught her how to earn a living. And when the day came, the seamstress gave her a few choice clients from her rolodex and told her she was ready to set up shop for herself. This is the kind of relationship you should be looking for. Humble yourself enough to be an apprentice. Find a mentor. The good ones are hard to find and aren’t usually found at startups.” – 8 Reasons to Turn Down That Startup Job
- “to put oneself in the mindset of a minority employee isn’t much of a stretch. Imagine for a moment being the only man at a bachelorette party or the only woman at a packed nightclub. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with either, but it is an unnerving feeling. After a while, you may withdraw into yourself or speak less.” – What it’s actually like to be a Black employee at a tech company
… and also in the news
- [Talk Slides] “Infrastructure as code might be literally impossible”, Joe Damato’s talk at Automacon 2015
- Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto explaining World 1-1 is the best game design lesson of the week
- Yelp becomes one of the few tech firms with a female board chair
- “‘We need to start considering interpersonal skill as a major skill for leveling up as a developer.’ —
@LewisCowper #JSConfEU” (@lnrd via twitter)