Cloudant videos discussing CouchDB (see thread)
How to use user interviews featuring CouchDB such as the videos by Cloudant and Dimagi (full list):
Cross post Bootstrap chapter on CouchDB Blog? (see thread)
A chapter on Bootstrap written for CouchDB Best Practices in the eHealth Africa docs, is being suggested for a cross post on the CouchDB blog.
Releases in the CouchDB Universe
- couchdb-compile 1.5.2 – Build CouchDB documents from fs.
- couchdb-bootstrap 1.6.0 – Bootstrap projects: configure CouchDB, setup security, deploy docs and create users. (See mention above in Discussions) (Feat. in NoSQL Weekly)
- couchdb-ensure 1.2.0 – Create database unless it exists.
- couchdb-secure 1.3.0 – Write CouchDB security object from file or directory.
- couchdb-push 1.5.0 – Deploy CouchDB documents from directory, JSON or module. (Feat. in NoSQL Weekly)
- beanbag 3.3.0 – Generic CouchDB driver built upon request
- semver-dns 1.1.0 – Proof of concept semantic versioning DNS server for docker
- angular-ivonet-couchdb 1.0.1 – A CouchDB security module exposing some of the REST Api
Releases in the PouchDB Universe
- annotator-pouchdb 0.2.0 – Annotator Storage with PouchDB (and/or CouchDB)…
Opinions and other News in the CouchDB Universe
- Blog post: Deconstructing Big Data – Adventures with NoSQL, Big Data and Data Science
Use Cases, Questions and Answers
- Working on Neo4j / graph database through php. Question: How to access / query the database from php. Answer: Using NeoClient is much like using Cypher. Ref. to README of the NeoClient repository.
- How to import data from CouchDB to Sql Server?
- How do I get rid of unused views on CouchDB using futon? – Answer: You have to remove the view from the ddoc which you can achive via futon. Alternatively the ddoc update can be done via CouchDB API.
Stack Overflow (PouchDB):
- Architecture of an app when using CouchDB/PouchDB
- If I have multiple users with there own authentication, how can I make sure that the users get access to only their data? And will I still have 1 database on server end? – Answer: Ref to guide in the pouchdb-authentication README.
pouchdb-validationto re-use your validation function on the client side.
- Would the use of a backend be gone in these kinds of setups? And if you want to have an API for 3rd party, you just put for example an Sails.js backend around the CouchDB? – Answer: Some people write PouchDB apps without any backend (just using pure CouchDB/Cloudant/Couchbase), whereas others like to mix the database with a server architecture of their choice. …
- How do I query X specific documents all at once using an index with pouchdb?
- PouchDB from Nodejs generate auth credentials? – Answer:
pouchdb-authenticationis designed for use in the browser, but you can use
nanoto interface with CouchDB from Node.
no public answer yet:
- Simple reduce function is not working, what is wrong with my reduce function code in CouchDB?
- Python SimpleHTTPServer reverse proxy – Question: Is there a way so that when we hit http://localhost:8000/ python can proxy pass to http://:5894/?
- acralyzer CouchDB update records wrong stack trace – ACRA setup on android side and acralyzer setup on server side. When documents are updated, in the summary section the stack trace shows one character per line (screenshot link).
For more new questions and answers about CouchDB, see these search results.
If you want to get into working on CouchDB:
- We have an infinite number of open contributor positions on CouchDB. Submit a pull request and join the project!
- Do you want to help us with the work on the new CouchDB website? Get in touch on our new website mailing list and join the website team! – email@example.com
- The CouchDB advocate marketing programme is just getting started. Join us in CouchDB’s Advocate Hub!
- CouchDB has a new wiki. Help us move content from the old to the new one!
- Can you help with Web Design, Development or UX for our Admin Console? No Erlang skills required! – Get in touch with us.
- Do you want to help moving the CouchDB docs translation forward? We’d love to have you in our L10n team! See our current status and languages we’d like to provide CouchDB docs in on this page. If you’d like to help, don’t hesitate to contact the L10n mailing list on firstname.lastname@example.org or ping Andy Wenk (awenkhh on IRC).
We’d be happy to welcome you on board!
- June 13, Dortmund, Germany: OTS CouchDB Workshop (rsvp still open)
- September 11, London, UK: Lead Developer Conference
- October 6-8, Richland, WA: RealtimeConf
Job opportunities for people with CouchDB skills
- Software Developer, Servier Side – .NET Focus, San Fransisco (CA), US
- Data Architect, Vancouver (BC), Canada
- Sr Deployment Automation Engineer, Chicago (IL), US
- Database Architect, San Diego (CA), US
- Senior Systems Engineer, Georgia, (ATL), US
Time to relax!
- “attempts to realize the values of liberational technology can produce unanticipated, even self-sabotaging effects. … Although mainstream tech culture has drifted from the more radical premises of liberational technologies, free and open-source software (F/OSS) has certainly creatively troubled liberal values of proprietary ownership, bringing intellectual copyright and other information restrictions under greater scrutiny. Despite such potential, open source software never wholly escapes capitalism and is thus subject to a pattern of exclusions” – Tripping Over Our Bootstraps: Open Source Ecology and the Promise of Liberational Technology
- “They are known as téléchargeurs, or downloaders, and they operate as an offline version of iTunes, Spotify and Pandora all rolled into one. / It was a question as dumb as my simple Nokia phone. A cellphone is a digital Swiss Army knife: flashlight, calculator, camera and, yes, audio player. Mali’s homegrown, offline digital music has created a space for sharing songs that is in many ways more vibrant than the algorithm-driven way music is so often experienced in the United States — more personal, more curated, more human.” – A Music-Sharing Network for the Unconnected
- “There’s probably more than one way of using color codes as data. But one thought I had was that they could be an interesting way of identifying racialized depictions of comic book characters in a reproducible manner.” – Race, Gender, and Skin Color Dynamism in Comic Books
- “CEO Nick Van Weerdenburg says, “In building Rangle.io as a diverse company in one of the world’s most diverse cities, I always imagined we would do fine in hiring and building a strong female core. However when we stopped and looked at the facts once we hit 50 people, we realized we needed to be more proactive to reach our goals- not just as a company but as an industry.” – Initiative announced for Women in Tech
… and also in the news
- “The Art of Dissent” – @LauraPoitras, feat. @aiww; @ioerror via nytimes.com
- Michaela DeSoucey on Food and Cultural Authenticity (Podcast/book review: “Contested Tastes: The Politics of Foie Gras in the U.S. and France”)