CouchDB PPA Updates – Dave Cottlehuber uploaded the Ubuntu PPA builds for 1.6.1 in the dev PPA, to support Wily & Xenial (still in alpha but not for long). The main changes are around correctly implementing systemd-related changes, in particular couch.uri now lives in /run/ instead of the old-school /var/run/, and we now have a systemd “unit” controlling CouchDB. View the source code here. If there are any changes or additions people need, please let Dave know, otherwise he’s rolling this into the stable PPA in about a week.
Releases in the CouchDB Universe
- sensu-plugins-couchdb 0.0.1 (Ruby Gem) – Sensu CouchDB plugins
- generator-xprscouch – Yeoman generator for Express app with CouchDB
- winston-couch (Node) – Winston Transport for CouchDB
- replication-monitor 0.1.0 (Python) – A GTK+ tool to create, delete and monitor CouchDB, AvanceDB, PouchDB and Cloudant replication jobs
- ansible-modules-couchdb – Ansible Modules for Common CouchDB Tasks
- fam (Python) – A simple Python ORM for CouchDB and Couchbase Sync Gateway
- wikifeat (Golang) – Extensible wiki system using CouchDB and written in Golang
- poms 1.1.0 (Ruby Gem) – Interface to POMS CouchDB API
- redux-pouchdb-plus (Node) – Synchronize Redux store with PouchDB to have a persistent store.
- pouchy 5.2.1 (Node) – A simple, opinionated interface for the amazing PouchDB
- pouchdb-list 1.1.0 (Node) – A PouchDB plug-in that allows you to re-use your CouchDB list functions on the client side.
Opinions and other News in the CouchDB Universe
- [BLOG] High Performance Erlang – Finding Bottlenecks in a CouchDB Cluster #1, Robert Kowalski
- [PODCAST] Getting Started with CouchDB on The Web Platform Podcast
- [ARTICLE] IBM Is Finally Embracing the Cloud—It Has No Other Choice, Wired
- [TUTORIAL] NodeJS CouchDB Create Database, Devnami
- [BLOG] How to do distributed locking, Martin Kleppmann
- [ARTICLE] Contributing to an Inclusive Open-Source Community, Gem Barrett
… and in the PouchDB Universe
- [BLOG] How to think about databases, Nolan Lawson
- [BLOG] A Summary of Backend Options for HTML5 Mobile Applications, Josh Morony
CouchDB Use Cases, Questions and Answers
- Can CouchDB automatically update a specific doc when a new doc has been added?
- Uploading documents to CouchDB in pure JS
- Make CouchDB calculate an average and keep it up to date when adding values
- CouchDB: Making attachments publicly available from a secure database?
no public answer yet:
- Does Loopback sync support document-level replication?
- Does CouchDB have limits when setting up hundreds to thousands of Replications?
- CouchDB view: how to get an average on a document
- Cloud9 and CouchDB with Node.js: Could not open file
PouchDB Use Cases, Questions and Answers
no public answer yet:
- PouchDB: Return query() result object
- Clearing all documents older than todays date PouchDB
- Call a CouchDB permanent view with PouchDB
- Sqlite is not being used by PouchDB to store the data
- How do I check in python if my Cloudant or CouchDB connection still exists
If you want to get into working on CouchDB:
- We have an infinite number of open contributor positions on CouchDB. Submit a pull request and join the project!
- Do you want to help us with the work on the new CouchDB website? Get in touch on our new website mailing list and join the website team! – firstname.lastname@example.org
- The CouchDB advocate marketing programme is just getting started. Join us in CouchDB’s Advocate Hub!
- CouchDB has a new wiki. Help us move content from the old to the new one!
- Can you help with Web Design, Development or UX for our Admin Console? No Erlang skills required! – Get in touch with us.
- Do you want to help moving the CouchDB docs translation forward? We’d love to have you in our L10n team! See our current status and languages we’d like to provide CouchDB docs in on this page. If you’d like to help, don’t hesitate to contact the L10n mailing list on email@example.com or ping Andy Wenk (awenkhh on IRC).
We’d be happy to welcome you on board!
- ILYA KHLOPOTOV (IRC nick: iilyak, Apache ID: iilyak) has been elected as a CouchDB committer. Welcome to CouchDB, Ilya!
- February 25, Montreal, Canada: Offline-First Apps with PouchDB
Job opportunities for people with CouchDB skills
Time to relax!
- “A growing body of research suggests that each of us has the potential to be excellent at almost anything if we make the right moves. The first key is fierce intentionality about managing the four sources of energy that fuels us: physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual.” – Relax Your Way to a More Productive Work Day
- “Did you not sleep on your last long flight? Did you arrive an irritable mess? There are steps you can take to change that next time, everything from the plane you choose to fly on to what you do once you’re on board.” – How to Sleep Better and Relax on a Long Flight
- “It’s something you’ve come to take for granted — the amount of time you spend staring at a digital screen.Research shows that most people these days spend at least seven hours and 24 minutes per day on average using at least four different devices.” – Relax, it’s good for your eyes!
- “Have you ever wondered how digitally healthy the organization where you work at really is? If you’re a freelancer or work at an agency, well, have you thought about the health of your clients?” – Take a Digital Health Check
- “Evidence suggests that REM sleep actually enhances learning, memory and may contribute to overall emotional health. When an individual’s sleep cycle is disrupted, it affects emotional regulation, impairs thinking and may exacerbate mental health symptoms.” – Sleep contributes to overall emotional health
… and also in the news
- 13 leaders aiming to increase African Americans in tech
- This “Artisanal Wood” Video Making Fun of Hipsters is Hilariously Accurate
- Hoodie aims to be one of open source’s most diverse and inclusive communities
- Underestimate your Programming Abilities
- …Git so bad it turned into Guitar Hero
- The consequences of speakers-pay tech conferences